Are you enjoying GSA News? Get news stories delivered straight to your inbox!

2 Bodies Recovered, 1 Person Mission in No. 63 Beach Mishap

Be sure to like our Facebook Page: Guyana, South America for more!

10th of February, 2021. Region 6, Guyana, South America.

Last updated: February 10, 2021 at 17:23 pm

On the evening of Monday, 8th of February, 2021, three persons disembarked a speedboat at the Number 63 Beach while relatives anticipated their arrival on shore. The speedboat promptly took off for Suriname in a bid to avoid possible interception by authorities. The trio somehow never made it to shore that night as relatives raised alarm and started a search and rescue operation.

The teenaged son of Sharida Hussain related that his mom called him upon disembarkation and said that she was making her way to shore and that the water was up to her waist. But when the youth tried calling back moments later, there was no answer.

The bodies of 75 years old Babuni Harrier and Alwin Joseph have been recovered while 48 years old Sherida Hussain remains missing as relatives cling to the hope that she may be found alive.

While it is difficult to ascertain what exactly transpired, it is possible that the victims were swept away by raging underwater currents while wading to shore in waist deep water. The number 63 Beach is rife with underwater currents and channels and it is easy to walk into one such at night.

Another theory is that the victims were dropped off on a sandbank and the surrounding waters closed in on them, or they subsequently walked into deep water.

We are of the firm opinion that the captain of the speedboat, who up to this time remains unidentified, acted recklessly and is directly responsible for this tragedy.

Team Guyana, South America extends heartfelt condolences to the relatives and friends of the persons who drowned at the No. 63 Beach, Corentyne while returning home backtrack from Suriname.

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Guyana News
7 months ago

It is a tragedy! I hope the family will find some peace and rest after this.