The Stabroek Market is a relic of British Architectural design and a friendly reminder of Dutch Colonial Rule of Guyana, South America. The name “Stabroek” is a Dutch name which dates back to the times when the Dutch ruled Guyana.
The Stabroek Market covers an area of about 80,000 square feet and was built by the USA company “Edge Moor Iron” of Delaware. Construction of the market began on August 17, 1879 and it was declared open on November 1, 1880.
The back of the Stabroek Market overlooks the Demerara River and even consists of a dock for speedboats taking passengers across the river to the Vreedenhoop stelling.
The photo above was taken around July 2019 by Patrick Carpen.