On Sunday, 3rd of December, 2023, dictator president of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, held a referendum which sought the approval of the Venezuelan people to annex the Essequibo territory and make it part of Venezuela – by force and without consultation with, or the approval of, the Guyana Government. According to the National Electorate Council of Venezuela, over 10 million voters turned up to the polls and over 95% voted yes to all five of the following questions:
- Do you agree to reject by all means in accordance with the law the line fraudulently imposed by the Paris Arbitration Award of 1899 that seeks to deprive us of our Guayana Esequiba?
- Do you support the 1966 Geneva Agreement as the only valid legal instrument to reach a practical and satisfactory solution for Venezuela and Guyana regarding the controversy over the territory of Guayana Esequiba?
- Do you agree with Venezuela’s historical position of not recognizing the jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice to resolve the territorial controversy over Guayana Esequiba?
- Do you agree to oppose by all means in accordance with the law Guyana’s claim to unilaterally dispose of a sea pending delimitation illegally and in violation of international law?
- Do you agree with the creation of the Guayana Esequiba state and the development of an accelerated plan for the comprehensive care of the current and future population of that territory that includes, among others, the granting of citizenship and Venezuelan identity card in accordance with the Geneva Agreement and international law, consequently incorporating said state on the map of Venezuelan territory?
Whether they falsified the results or not is hard to tell; however, it is likely that they rigged. Nicolas Maduro on December 4th 2023 declared a resounding victory. In a previous article, “Venezuela Has Won Its Essequibo Referendum, Now What?”, I examined what would be the next steps following the referendum. These include redrawing the Venezuelan map and making it Venezuelan law that the Essequibo is a state in Venezuela.
Tonight, 5th of December, 2023, Nicolas Maduro, via Venezuelan media, announced that the Venezuelan map has been officially redrawn to include the Essequibo, and the process for enacting the relevant laws has been initiated. Further, Nicolas Maduro has announced the following plan of action to closely follow:
- The creation of the division “PDVSA Esequibo”, “CVG Esequibo”, to grant licenses for oil, gas and mines exploitation in the Essequibo region of Guyana.
- The activation of a human and social care plan for the population of the Essequibo (Guayana Esquiba) that includes censuses and identity cards.
- Drafting of the Special Law to establish a rule prohibiting the Guyana Government from exploring or extracting oil from waters off the Essequibo.
- The approval of a Special Law where environmental protection areas and new protected parks are decreed that are centers of tourism, biodiversity and life in Essequibo (Guayana Esequiba).
The Venezuelan military has long been activated to support and defend these actions. This in essence means that Nicolas Maduro is saying that it will take military force to stop him from taking control of the Essequibo, and is a virtual declaration of war against Guyana which has been long forewarned.
President of Guyana, Dr. Irfaan Ali, in an urgent address to the nation tonight, 5th of December, 2023, at around 11:00 PM, said that he will consult with the United Nations Security Council in the morning to determine what steps will be taken to counter these threatening moves by the Maduro Regime.
As Nicolas Maduro boldly advances his ruthless plan to annex the Essequibo, virtually declaring war on Guyana, we ask you to repeat this prayer, taken from Psalms 46 of the bible, a prayer for protection of Guyana and its people.
God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though its waters roar and be troubled, Though the mountains shake with its swelling. Selah There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High. God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn. The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted. The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah Come, behold the works of the Lord, Who has made desolations in the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariot in the fire. Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah