First Published: 19th of May, 2022 by Patrick CarpenLast updated: August 20, 2023 at 0:05 am
Region 7, also called the Cuyuni-Mazaruni Region, is one of Guyana’s ten administrative regions. It is bordered by Venezuela to the east and the Essequibo River to the west. Covering an area of 18,400 square miles or 47,650 square kilometers, the Cuyuni-Mazaruni Region is bigger than the Netherlands.
Region 7 is made up of mainly forested highlands with a small portion of hilly sand and clay region.
Important features of Region 7 include:
- Mount Romaima – sporting a summit of 2,817 meters in the clouds, this glorious mountain stands majestically at the point where Guyana, Brazil, and Venezuela meet.
- The Pakaraima Mountain Range.
- Mount Ayanganna
- Omai Gold Mines – Guyana’s biggest gold mining company.
- Sakaika Falls – one of Guyana’s most powerful waterfalls.
- The town of Bartica – which was declared a township in 2016 by then President David Granger, is officially the capital of Region 7.
Major economic activities of Region 7 include:
- Gold and Diamond Mining